Saturday, September 1, 2007

First Day

Ich bin endlich angekommen!
(I have finally arrived)

Here I am finally in Münster, Germany! The flight went pretty well for the most part, however the good people at STA Travel Company saw fit to give me just an hour and fifteen minutes in London and I made it to my flight with just five minutes to spare. My suitcases were really heavy and lets just say that the charming cobble stone streets of Münster were not designed with rolling suit cases in mind. I made it, however, and in one piece!

My roommates were kind of scattered around the country when I got here but one was present for a little meet and greet. His name is Andreas and he seems like a cool guy. He took me to my first party in Germany on Friday. It was out in the country a bit so we road our bikes. Good times. The others are filtering in slowly but surely. We also have a girl from Spain named Maria (of course) that's living in the house temporarily so I've had the chance to go out with her and practice my Spanish a bit.


Münster! What a beautiful town. Things seem very laid back here. It's a university town of about 300,000 and 60,000 of them are students. There's a lot to do and see here so I think I'll be busy for a while. Münster is the "bike city" of Germany and you can get absolutely every where on a bike with special pathes and lanes that run through all the streets. The people at my school have been nice enough to organize a bike, and a bunch of furniture as well, for me.



I had my first day of school yesterday. The school is kind of far away which isn't so awesome but I think I'm going to be able to enroll in the university, which grants me a free semester ticket which I can use to ride regional trains for free. The ride is about 35 minutes.

I had my orientation meeting for three days outside of Cologne in an old cloister which is pictured above. It's called Altenberg. It was very peaceful there and it was weird to suddenly here so many American voices again. The seminars were intense and long but we made it through and definitely helped me.

I've decided to steal an idea from my friend and old roomie Marna. She made one or two lists on her blog and I've decided to include them in mine from time to time. Lists will be written in no particular order. So first list, here goes:

10 things that I miss about America.

1. Sunny warm weather.
2. Cheez-its and milk.
3. Having a basement to hide out in.
4. A big yellow house in Athens, OH.
5. Cheap clothing.
6. Campfires.
7. Mexican Food.
8. Eating on the back porch with mom and dad.
9. Forgiveness for arriving 4 minutes late.
10. Wide streets.

That's it for now.

Tschüß alle, wir sehen uns bestimmt bald wieder.

4 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Meghan said...

heya- I like the post, and it all reminds me of last year, which I miss more than I thought I would, so it's fun to read. keep it updated if you have time. And by the way, what's your phone number there?? Let me know.

HelenSays said...

Ich kenne dein "big yellow house in Athens!"

Blake said...

Awesome! Can't wait to see more posts!